20100929

First Memory

"The aborigines of South-eastern Australia believe that a man may be injured by burying sharp fragments of quartz, glass, and so forth in the mark made by his reclining body; the magical virtue of these sharp things enters his body and causes those acute pains which the ignorant European puts down as rheumatism." (Frazer 53)

My very first memory is of a cobblestone street, presumably somewhere in Denver Colorado. It's a slight incline and I'm about a half a block down it from a man who has long blonde hair and is holding his hands out as if hoping i will run to him for a hug. My mother said that he was my godfather Carlos and that I was about a year old. Apparently I began walking on my own at about 8 months and so I was waddling next to my mom, hand in hand, while she was carrying groceries up to our little apartment on the hill.